Allergy Friendly Pre-Packaged Food

When my son was diagnosed with food allergies. I learned quickly that I was going to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Most of the cakes, cookies, breads, muffins and other baked products I make from scratch. It is convenient though to be able to pull some foods directly from a grocery store shelf- especially when traveling. Some of the convenience foods in my pantry are:

Poptarts®- only the cinnamon/brown sugar and fruit varieties are free of milk. All contain wheat.
Pillsbury® White Frosting- no dairy, does contain soy.
Thomas's® plain or whole wheat Bagels- contain wheat, but no other major allergens
Vienna Fingers®- contain wheat, but no other major allergens
Popcorn- just buy a bag of the unpopped kernels. Put some kernels in a pot with a little safe oil (I use canola or olive). Turn on the heat and listen to the sound of a tasty treat.
Fritos® corn chips- no major allergens.
Keebler® Cinnamon Graham crackers- contain wheat, but no other major allergens.

Be sure to check labels as ingredients sometimes change, but isn't it nice to be able to share a Vienna Finger cookie with your food allergic grandchild?

No comments: