EpiPen vs Auvi-Q...And I Mean That in the Nicest Way

EpiPen and Auvi-Q
We now have EpiPens and Auvi-Q's in our house. Of course this may not work for every household. It could be confusing for younger children to have two different epinephrine devices. It may be disorienting to some caregivers. But, for us, it works to have both. There are times when it's easier for me to fit Auvi-Q in my favorite small purse. 

Other times, the shape of the EpiPen works better. 

Size of Auvi-Q
But, what I most appreciate is having choice. EpiPen is celebrating its 25th birthday this year. While we've seen a few other devices designed to treat anaphylaxis over the years (think Twinject and Adrenaclick), we haven't seen any new innovation- until Auvi-Q came on the market last week. The shape is remarkably different than anything else we've seen and a voice talks the user through the procedure, much as a defibrillator (AED) does.

When I called my doctor's office earlier this week to ask for an Auvi-Q prescription, they said, "Would you spell that please?" A nurse called back a short time later to say that they had a training on Auvi-Q coming up in a few days and that they didn't yet have the prescription information entered in their computer. They manually called in my prescription to Target. 

I'm also sending in some trainers to the director of our school nurses so she can share it at next week's nursing staff meeting. It's important to tell schools, daycares, babysitters and others if you've got an Auvi-Q for your child as they may search for the traditional shape of an EpiPen.

Price of the new Auvi-Q has been a hot topic. Each prescription comes with two devices and a trainer. I paid $72.74 for my prescription that was covered by insurance. By comparison, I pay $48.43 for EpiPen. This time, I only paid $25 for Auvi-Q because I printed a coupon. The coupon can be used twice and offers a $25 co-pay for prescriptions covered by insurance, or $60 off for self-pay customers. Honestly, that is a greater price difference than I expected. Our new Auvi-Q devices don't expire until April 2014, but as our EpiPens expire, we'll need to decide if the extra cost is worth it to us.

We need companies like Mylan and Sanofi and we need independent inventors like the Edwards brothers to keep us informed and to bring innovation and choice. Until the day finally comes when we no longer need to fear food, bees, latex and anything else that may lead to anaphylaxis, there's room for pioneers and options.   

Auvi-Q Prescription
 Will you have both devices in your house?

Post a Comment