Food Allergy and Flu Treatment

The flu has arrived in our house. According to our doctor, the treatment of choice this season is Relenza®, an inhaled medication that must be started within 48 hours of flu symptoms. It can also be used as a prophylaxis- protecting against the flu. I wondered if this would be helpful for those with an egg allergy who are unable to ge the flu shot. According to the medication's website, it is recommended for those individuals. However, be warned, that this medication contains milk protein, so it should not be used by those with a dairy allergy.

For more information about food allergy, check out the Food Allergy Assistant.

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I'll have to talk to my ped about this. My son has a severe egg allergy and last year ended up hospitalized with the flu.

Unknown said...

My son too was in the ER with the flu a few years ago.

The allergist did a skin test with the flu vaccine. My son was so allergic to the vaccine, that it would have meant 15 small shots over the course of months. We didn't do it.

No flu this year- YAY!