Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management Act of 2009

Do you know about the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management Act of 2009? I wrote about it over at Suite 101, so read that article if you want specific info about what it is.

I've written to PA Senators Casey and Specter to request their support of the bill. Feel free to copy all, or part, of my letter to send to your state senators. Check here if you're not sure who your senators are. Pass this letter along to anyone who may be willing to write a letter too.

******************************************************

Dear Senator Specter,

I am writing to request your support of S456: Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management Act of 2009, introduced on February 23, 2009 by Senator Dodd to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.

As the parent of a child with food allergies, I know first-hand the problems created when schools do not have established plans to manage the risk of food allergy and anaphylaxis. Young students have life-saving medication hidden in backpacks. Teachers feel anxious because they don't have the proper knowledge to handle an allergic reaction. Children feel left out because they can't participate in certain activities because plans were not made in advance.

I have advocated for my son often within our district. They have been very willing to work with us, but I know this is not the case in neighboring schools. This act would open the dialogue, and some funding, to get everyone on a level playing field.

I am also requesting an increase in federal funding for food allergy research. As recommended by the researchers who gathered at Children’s Memorial, an increase from the current amount of about $13M to $50M per year may get us better treatment and finally a cure. Recent research in food allergy is so promising and the researchers need more support.

Please support this act and increased funding for my third grader and the other three million school-aged food allergic children in the U.S. They need us.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

4 comments:

Sabrina K. said...

Awesome. I e-mailed my Senators, Representatives,and everyone in between last week. I was working on this last year, and one of my government officials who was on the board to approve had written me a letter about it, and about wanting to pass it, but he died in a car accident shortly before they went into session. Time to try again!

Swizz said...

This is way off topic for this post, but I didn't know where else to post it!

An item I use often for my sun who is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts is Sun Butter, a peanut butter alternative made from sunflower seeds. It is manufactured in a plant that is peanut and tree nut free and is tested for peanut proteins with every batch. It is yummy and a great sub!

Unknown said...

Great Sabrina K! We need to get the word out.

Unknown said...

Hi Swizz,

My son used to love I.M. healthy honey creamy soynut butter. This year, no go.

I think we'll give Sun Butter a try. Thanks for the tip.