Update: Food Allergies and Surgery

Today was the big day- surgery to remove tonsils and adenoids. Rather than a hospital, the surgery took place at an outpatient surgical center. I really weighed the pros and cons of doing the surgery in this location instead of a hospital, but after touring the facility, I felt good about this choice. So far so good, as my son is recovering nicely at home.

During the tour, I asked to see ingredient labels for all medications. They were very accommodating. Some I had to check at home on-line as the ingredients weren't available on the container. I also checked out the labels for the popsicles and water ice they offer after the operation. The labels looked fine, but we decided to bring our own.

When we arrived, my son received a special red band with all his food and medication allergies clearly listed.

Even though the nurses and doctors were well aware of his allergies, we still got instructions such as "give him lots of pudding, macaroni and cheese, milkshakes, scrambled eggs"...hmmm...can't serve any of those. I also ran into another gotcha when the surgeon prescribed Zofran, an anti-nausea medication. The tablets contain lactose, a no-no for the milk allergic. He switched it to the orally dissolving tablets which don't contain lactose. I only found this out after a thorough internet search. Don't rely on medical professionals to manage your food allergy.

Well, off to re-fill the water ice cup! Thank you for all of your well-wishes as we faced this procedure.

7 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I'm glad it went well overall.

Jane Anne said...

I am glad that it went well. Thanks for the reminder not to rely on doctors to provide for food allergies. It isn't their specialty - but it sure is ours, isn't it?!

Maleah said...

Glad to hear that things went well overall.

Ali said...

Glad the surgery went well, I hope he's doing okay today. I also have a prize for you on Worducopia, you won the G-Free Diet book! Please email me (worducopia at gmail dot com) with your street address so I can have the book sent to you.

Unknown said...

I'm emerging from the fog. It's been a rough recovery for my little guy. We're hanging in there, though, and I think we're ahead of the ball at this time. A day ago the ball ran over us, so we're making progress. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ali, I'll be in touch about my prize- Thanks!

Ali said...

So sorry it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing. Poor boy! (And poor Mom, too!). You've certainly got more important things to worry about than prizes right now--take care of yourself & the fam. If I haven't heard from you in a week I'll give you a nudge. :-)

Allergy Testing NY said...

I think it helps to be under the care of an allergist