Allergy Shots Decrease Healthcare Costs

Many people with food allergies also deal with environmental allergies. Allergy shots are a necessary evil for many of us with environmental allergies. While not available for food allergies, shots can be immensely helpful for those allergic to dogs, cats, dust, pollen, grasses, etc.

It was no surprise to me to read this study in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology showing allergy shots decrease healthcare and prescription costs. I've seen it for myself and I've seen it for other family members.

Due to allergy shots, daily medications (I mean several different kinds a day, both oral and nasal) are a thing of the past in our family. Fewer days of school have been missed and we've had fewer doctor visits for symptoms that may have been allergy related, but may have been something more serious.

Yes, it's a pain (literally) to go to the doctor's office weekly and monthly for injections, but allergy shots work. And fewer sick doctor visits and less medication really work for me.

Have you noticed this in your family as well?

1 comment:

Col said...

I was "cured" by allergy shots myself. I had really bad hay fever and mold allergies as a kid, and I'm hardly bothered by them anymore. I had 8 years of shots, such a pain, but they worked!