Dairy Free Chocolate Chips

I do love chocolate! When I realized that my Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips were no longer an option in our new world of food allergy, I was a bit panicked. Well, maybe panicked is a bit strong...

no, taking away my favorite chocolate chips did cause panic!

So, we embarked on a tasting of dairy free chocolate chips.  I was not interested in mini-chocolate chips. I prefer the regular size for most of my baking. Fortunately I discovered Barry Callebaut chips. I swear to you, you'll never miss the dairy in these chips. I order them from The Allergy Grocer, as they're not carried in stores. This works great, except:
  •  the chips can't be shipped during the summer months due to high temps and melting
  • they're awfully expensive, especially with the shipping...
but who can put a price on a good chocolate chip?

Imagine my excitement recently while shopping at Wegmans's, when I noticed their store brand of chocolate chips is dairy free. I bought a bag, giddy at the thought of saving on those shipping costs. We had a blind taste-testing in our home that night.

No comparison. Barry Callebaut wins out.

So, I'll keep ordering multiple 5 lb. bags of Barry Callebaut chips from The Allergy Grocer, but I'm always willing to do more taste-testing!

Any suggestions?

By the way, Allergy Grocer offers free shipping on orders over $100. Go ahead, you can do it...

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are dairy-free. They are the only ones I can use for my dairy-allergic son. I don't like the fact that they are a little pricy, but then only the best for my family. ;-)

Food Allergy S-O-S said...

Well, as a mom of three severely allergic kids--to lots of different foods, including crazy ultra-sensitive dairy allergy, we have actually had success with Kroger brand semi-sweet chocolate chips (the one with the red, white and blue packaging). Of course, you need to make your own independent determination, but we have achieved a comfort level with them from my conversations with the company and the years of eating them. We use them all the time--a staple for us. We have also used Enjoy Life Foods (www.enjoylifefoods.com) chocolate chips, but they have flax seed in their factory and, unfortunately, our kids are allergic to those, too! Hope this helps.

Jennifer Schwarz
Food Allergy S-O-S
Blog: www.FoodAllergySOS.com

GINA. said...

We buy Enjoy Life chocolate chips. They are dairy free, as well as MANY other common allergens. They are approx $5 Canadian per bag.

We like them. So far, those are the only kind I've found.

Thanks for the info though!!

Unknown said...

Gina- Does Enjoy Life make a larger chip or just the minis?

Unknown said...

Jenny- I will definitely check into Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

We also use the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips for my ana to dairy kiddo. They taste amazing!!

Unknown said...

I remembered this week-end that years ago I checked into Ghiradelli sem-sweet chips, but stayed away due to the allergen statement (http://www.ghirardelli.com/about/faq_products_allergy.aspx)

My concern was that the chips were processed on the same line as products containing milk. I am glad to hear that many of you are having success with these chips with your dairy allergic kids.

I don't know...maybe it depends on how severely milk allergic the person is,? Maybe the lines are thoroughly cleaned between runs and the statement is just a so the company is covered? It's hard to know what to do in these cases.

Thank you for sharing your stories!

Col said...

We swear by Trader Joe's store brand. Dairy-free, no nuts, delicious, and inexpensive.

Allergy Mum said...

My favourite dairy free chocolate chips (also peanuts, tree nut & eggs free) are the Guardian-Angel Foods chocolate chips. They also have chocolate bars that are free of the same allergies. We do use Enjoy Life chocolate chips, but prefer the Guardian-Angel Foods brand because they taste better.
Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/