Overprotective Parents and Increase in Food Allergies

I'm trying not to take offense with this article, but it's hard not too. I'm going to go with the idea that the writer was looking for a sensational headline to increase readership.

Yeah, that's it.

Here's the thing, medical doctors have been telling parents to delay introduction of certain foods and to read all labels to avoid any trace of highly allergenic foods. We've been told that our food allergic children could die if they eat even a tiny amount of their allergen. And people have died.

I realize that the latest research is beginning to show a different picture. Recent studies are showing that it may be better to introduce major allergens at a young age. This news article talks about a recent article in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Imunology. A study involving 2500 infants showed a lower incidence of egg allergy for the babies introduced to egg before 12 months.No other major allergens have been studied.

For now, stay in touch with your pediatrician and allergist about what is best for your baby or child.

Overprotective parents...geeeesh...we're just doing the best we can with the information we have. We're just being the best parents we can be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think of myself as overprotective (although I could see how it can read that way). I see myself as standing up for my child and giving her a voice. I grew up with food allergies, but no one believed me or told me that's what what my problem was until I was 14. I could have used a little overprotection.

Lynn said...

I really wish they could figure this out so we know what to do. I don't understand the idea that early introduction might cause less food allergies, because breastfeeding introduces the foods indirectly. I know sometimes people say that the proteins don't pass through for some women, but they clearly did for us, because that's how I knew he was reacting, way before he had eaten the foods himself. I find the lack of answers so frustrating.

Kate said...

well, I'm not getting worked up over it, but I agree with you - the headline is sensationalist, and in my opinion, poor journalism. it's not "overprotective" to follow the advice that pediatricians have been doling out to everyone, which is that avoidance and delay of introduction is the best policy. now, it may be true that new research is changing doctor's views on that, so fine, but it doesn't mean that the parents who went along with what they were told to do should be considered overprotective.

I also agree with the prior commenter. The real frustration for all of us is the lack of answers. I am very hopeful for continued research.