Food Allergy Update: Almonds Are In

Natural Raw Almonds (10 Pound Case)With a child allergic to dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish, we've worried over the years about protein and calcium sources. It's tough to get those things while avoiding so much. Last week, my child tried a sliver of almond.

No reaction, even though a blood test showed an allergy to almond.

The next day, half an almond.

No reaction.

Fast forward a week and a bunch of almonds later. Either my child was never allergic to almonds, or the allergy was very recently outgrown. Whatever the case, I'm glad to be able to add this nutrient-packed food to his diet.

Sesame seed, almonds, baked milk (powdered) and baked egg all successful over the past few months.

On to cheese this week.

We're making progress. Very exciting, quite stressful.

4 comments:

Kate said...

that is super exciting!

did he try the first sliver by accident?

Unknown said...

Hi Kate,

Nope, we're being very calculated about this.

He had a half a honey nut Cheerio first day. Then a whole honey nut Cheerio and so on until we were comfortable that the almond in the cereal was fine. Then, he ate a sliver of almond. With no reaction, we gradually increased that over the course of about 10 days to several almonds. I now regularly put almonds in my granola bars and cookies and he's had no problems.

Yeah!!!! We're moving on to other foods now. I'll keep you posted.

Unknown said...

That's WONDERFUL!

Just to let you know that I had NO IDEA that I was allergic to things like almonds,pears,pineapples, bananas, sugar cane, cabbage,dairy, wheat....you get the picture...until I had the blood tests. I wasn't having the immediate reactions to those like I did when I eat honey dew or cantaloupe melons. (no itching) It wasn't until I cut almost everything out of my diet that I realized that I think a lot of the time when I thought I was having "environmental allergies" meaning I thought I felt a little more tired then usual or a little foggy in the head...not 100%, I think it had to do with all the foods I was consuming that would make me sometimes feel like I was under the weather "fighting something". It was all the little bits of foods I wasn't reacting to but consuming that made me tired and such...
I guess I just wanted to say that I had no idea and no reactions but those foods were effecting my health in ways I had no idea they were.
Now after 8 months of not eating these foods I don't "itch" but my eczema will flair by bedtime.

Not to rain on your parade since I would be thrilled he can eat more foods if I were you too!

At my worst I remember eating non fat plain yogurt with grapes and almonds without any "reactions" and now found out I'm allergic to all of them. NOW if I eat them I flair out.

*crossing fingers* for him to be able to be healthy and eat all the new items.
;)

eye lift guide said...

This is unbelievable. I don't thinks so. Almond are my favorite. I never seen someone who has almond's allergy.