Can You be Allergic to Chocolate?

Over the years I've heard many people say that they, or their children, are allergic to chocolate. Can you really be allergic to chocolate? Finally, I uncovered an answer to my question. In this 7 minute audio clip, Allergist Bradley Chipps (I love that Dr. Chipps is talking about chocolate chips!) says that it is a possibility, but that he's never seen a diagnosed case of chocolate allergy and that after polling numerous colleagues he's yet to find an allergist who has made this diagnosis.

So, according to the doctor, it is possible to be allergic to chocolate, but very rare. Dr. Chipps believes that most people who eat chocolate and experience allergic symptoms are reacting instead to dairy or nut.

Interesting...

2 comments:

Tiiu said...

I am allergic to cocoa, confirmed with a prick test.
I got my diagnosis in 2007. It was one of the foods I thought I might be allergic to, and asked to get tested.
Useless to say, everything made with cocoa was my favourite foods.

Unknown said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Tiiu. I'm sorry you've had to cut cocoa from your diet. Fingers crossed for better treatment options soon like sublingual therapy for food allergies!