Food Allergy Desensitization May be coming to an Office Near You

If you haven't spoken to your allergist in the past 6 months, you may want to check in. Food allergy desensitization programs like this one are becoming more prevalent. I found out over the summer that our allergist office will begin peanut desensitization in December. They chose peanut to start because they have a peanut allergic allergist who is willing to be the first desensitization patient in the practice. My 12-year-old may enter the peanut program this summer, although were are just as anxious for a milk desensitization program.

I'm really excited about this works. I recognize the risks, but I hope with a slow progression, an active watch for symptoms of an allergic reaction and keeping epinephrine close at hand, there will be success. This living in fear of accidental ingestion due to cross contamination or incomplete food labels is no good. Finally, some help may be on the way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think these programs sound really interesting, but I don't think it would work for my son. If we avoid the food for a months, then he doesn't react when he eats it again, but if it's built up in his system, he has severe eczema.

I have a blog that shares our family’s battles with eczema, allergies, and asthma (yes, lucky guy has that too).

I think the key is to learn from one another, so the more information out there to the masses, the better. With this in mind I’ve started a blog hop for anyone dealing with allergies, eczema, or asthma, either for themselves or as a caregiver. If you’re interested in joining, please add a comment. I’d love to welcome you the group. http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/


Thanks.
Jennifer