Food Allergy Friendly Holiday Cookies

Christmas Cookies
It's that time of year. I've pulled out my allergy friendly go-to holiday cookie recipe cards and I'm heading into the kitchen. I've borrowed recipes from others or adapted old favorites to meet our needs of milk, egg and nut-free. Many of these work well with your favorite gluten-free flour too. No one will ever suspect that these cookies are missing anything. They are all so delicious!

  • When a chocolate cookie recipe comes from the Hershey Kitchens, I figure you can't go wrong. This recipe for Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies is easy to adapt. I use dairy-free margarine and I substitute the 2 eggs with a mixture of 3 Tablespoons water, 3 Tablespoons canola oil and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. I use dairy-free chips and eliminate the nuts. Simply divine!
  • Food Allergy Mama's Chocolate Crinkles are already dairy, egg, nut free and yummy.
  • This classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe by Sunmaid is another staple on my cookie tray. Again, I use a dairy-free margarine and substitute the one egg with a mixture of 1 1/2 Tablespoons water+ 1 1/2 Tablespoons canola oil and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
  • Snickerdoodles always remind me of Christmas. Ummmm...that smell of cinnamon sugar baking...Sue W.'s recipe is also easily changed by using dairy-free margarine and substituting the 2 eggs with a mixture of 3 Tablespoons water, 3 Tablespoons canola oil and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
  • One of our new favorites is the 2010 FAANtastic Divvies Cookie Contest Winner. Libby, the creator of Double Chocolate Brownie Bites has also provided a gluten-free version of her recipe.

Happy baking...and eating! What cookies will you bake this season?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very interesting. My friend has recently become an allergist in Plainfield, il and I personally have no allergies so it's been fun to learn more about them. I had a friend who was allergic to almost anything you could think of.