Food Allergy Support Groups

I'm a big fan of face to face support groups when you're dealing every day with an issue like food allergies. I met another mom in Baltimore at FAAN's (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network) annual conference in 2001 when I attended the first time. At the conference, lunch seating is arranged by zip codes so that people can meet others who live close by. We began talking and decided to start a support group. We had 4-6 people who regularly met once a month to swap recipes, talk about safe foods and to provide general support for one another. That group has since dis-banded, but the friendships and help were invaluable to me at the time. My allergist office also ran a monthly support group with the doctor sitting in to answer questions.

If you are interested in a support group, Linda Coss has the most extensive state-by-state list I've seen. Check it out here. If you can't find a group in your area, ask your allergist if they run a group or know a local group. If you're having trouble finding a group, start your own. See if your doctor or local library will let you post a sign. If you have any questions or need help starting a group where you live, let me know .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those who are thinking of starting a support group, I'm always happy to email over the "starting a support group" chapter of my How To book. Once you do get your group going please let me know so I can add the new group to my list! My email address is on my website (www.foodallergybooks.com).

Unknown said...

Thank you Linda!