The Innocent Turkey

Four days before Thanksgiving and I just returned my frozen turkey. Well, exchanged it would be more accurate. Last night when I moved the frozen Shadybrook Farms young turkey from the freezer to the fridge for it's four days of thawing, the word "prebasted" caught my eye. Hmmm...prebasted with what, I thought. I can do my own basting thank you very much! The ingredient label was vague "turkey broth" was listed as the ingredient for the basting solution. A check of the company website gave a little more information and indicated that the basting solution "may contain butter or other fat". That did it. The turkey spent the night in the freezer until I took it back to the grocery store this morning. Now I have an eleven and a half pound Empire Kosher turkey thawing in my fridge. Ingredients: turkey, water, salt. I can take it from there. Happy cooking!

No comments: