As a Guest, I'm a Pest

As a follow-up to last week's post, "Hostess With the Mostest...Stress That Is", I must note that being a guest isn't easy either. This is something many of you pointed out in your recent comments.

Both Jes and Sabrina K. commented that they think it's harder to be a guest in someone else's house. They prefer to host because they have more control over what foods come in.

Nowheymama keeps everyone out of her kitchen to ease her stress. ChupieandJ'smama is already stressed about hosting an upcoming company Christmas party where traditionally shrimp and crab legs are served. Infant Bibliophile just starves her houseguests rather than dealing with the stress. Col has a list of rules for her guests. Liz uses red stickers to identify unsafe foods in her house and Karen keeps very few unsafe items in her kitchen.

This week-end we brought most of our own food when we visited family. I baked up a storm before we left- chocolate chip cookies, granola bars, doughnuts and chocolate cake. I marinated chicken, prepared burgers, precooked pancakes and made bread. We were well prepared and yet still hit a few stumbling blocks in our host's kitchen.

Just a few of my rants:
"Don't use that olive oil! It's in an old pickle jar and who knows what else that jar has been used for."
"Don't touch those pretzels. I know they look friendly, but they're stored in a chocolate covered raisin jar."
"I know you're trying to help, but please don't cut my son's roll with the knife that just cut those bakery rolls."
"No, don't put those birthday candles in my safe cake! Do you have any idea where those candles have been before?!"

We all survived the week-end, but I think this glimpse into each other's lives made us all grateful to go back to our own kitchens. I know I hugged my toaster as soon as I got home!

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I think being a guest can be harder because I'm more worried about offending people in their homes.

robin said...

Whenever we are going to another family's home, we always bring Divvies! Everyone enjoys all of their treats -- all made without nuts, dairy and eggs. Their new chocolate bars and candies are gluten free too. Everything is beautifully packaged and tastes homemade.

Unknown said...

I love the Divvies idea, Robin. There's not always time to "bake up a storm" like I did last week so, treats from Divvies are a great alternative.

Lynn said...

LOL, my Italian ancestors are rolling in their graves at the thought that I starve my houseguests. I do let them have full access to a kitchen full of gluten free food; my houseguests so far have just been picky enough that they didn't really want to eat much of it. I think I agree that being a guest is harder. Someone makes you something special just for your allergies, and you feel like you want to be gracious and eat it, but don't want to quiz them: did you cook that in oil or butter? Did you cook eggs in the pan first? Did you use the spoon on the eggs and then on the potatoes? Wow, a gluten free bread, great! Does it have eggs? Did it have a nut warning on the mix bag? I end up feeling crazy. :)

The Food Allergy Coach said...

I know what you mean - my husband jokes with me that he is surprised we keep getting invited back to friends' houses! Ugh! ...especially when they buy or make something just for me, but then it turns out that it's not safe ("I know you bought that hummus just for me, but it looks like someone dipped non-GF crackers into it...sorry!"). It's nice to share with others who have the same woes...

Sabrina K. said...

Oh yes, I totally get it. I'm the "no, no, I need to cut their meat off FIRST with the clean knife, then everyone else can eat" one in our family. *sigh* Although my mother (who I love dearly) keeps a "safe" toaster at her house for us *giggles*

Is it wrong that I use my kids' allergies as a great reason not to put up with annoying family members at buffet style dinners? LOL

Lisa Cooks Allergen Free said...

I really understand your pain, most times people even when they try, just miss some things. It really takes some time to take in the scope of foods that we can't have with food allergies.

Jenny said...

I worry about offending people but I'm constantly on the lookout, like you, for cross-contact issues while dining at other's homes. It's so stressful but a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.I usually bring a homemade treat to soften the "blow" and that helps!