School Carnivals, Picnics and Parties, Oh My!

The school carnival is this week. I'm in charge of food this year, because I figured if I organized it, I'd be in the know. Yeah, not so fast. "We must have popcorn", I was told because the smell of the popcorn popping is "so carnival-like". Okay, I rented the machine and got the popcorn. Does artificial butter flavor contain any dairy? "No" says the popcorn company representative. Of course I have no way of knowing what else has been put in the rented machine and no idea how well it's been cleaned. Confidence level on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being totally confident?- a 2. I'll bring safe popcorn.

We're also serving water ice which is basically sugar, high fructose corn syrup and dyes. Our school has started distributing, via e-mail, ingredient lists of foods served to students at these special events. Interesting responses. Some parents who don't need to look at food labels on a regular basis are surprised about what's in some of these foods (ie: long chemical names, high fructose corn syrup, etc.) One mother of a diabetic son asked if carbohydrate and sugar content could be included in the lists going to parents.

I think our school needs to develop a form that captures all food concerns that families have. That information then goes out to all families so they can plan appropriately.

How do your schools handle this? Is it working?

3 comments:

Sabrina K. said...

Ahh, I am loving my no-food-parties preschool at this time. Although it bites to have to get doctor's notes to get out of the "free lunch program" they offer, at least I don't have to worry about Mrs So-and-so bringing in cupcakes on a whim. Not looking forward to elementary school. I'm always watching other FA moms deal with it, and saving their ideas in a file on my computer.

Unknown said...

It continues to amaze me how crazy the adults get about food at school and how little the kids really care. "We can't take away cupcakes for our class party!". You know what? Most kids are just as happy with a bouncy ball and some extra recess!

Nowheymama said...

Sigh. The school doesn't handle it, which is why I'll be following K. around the carnival tomorrow.