Preparing to Be a Birthday Party Guest

Most parents drop their kids off at a birthday party with a "have a great time" and "BEHAVE". Parents of children with food allergies have a whole different procedure. My child is getting too old for me to hang out at the party. He wants some independence, and I agree. As he has entered his tween years, he wants to be "like everyone else". Can't say I blame him there either. I started preparing for the bowling alley birthday party a day in advance:
  1. Call bowling alley to find out what food is served at late afternoon parties. Ask for ingredients of hot dogs and rolls. (I will also read the labels myself upon arrival at the party.)
  2. Make  cupcake and frosting (to eat when birthday cake is served).
  3. Make sure food allergic child is aware of safe food choices.
  4. Upon arrival, talk to birthday child's parents- explain allergies (symptoms and sign of a reaction), demonstrate use of EpiPen using trainer, give cell phone number in case of emergency, make parents aware of safe foods.
  5. Tell child to have a great time.
  6. Leave.
  7. Check cell phone a dozen times to make sure I haven't missed a call.
  8. Pick up happy and safe kid.
Whew! Another milestone.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Our son is 3 and he's just now getting invited to parties. He has eczema, allergies, and asthma. So, I can relate and see the road before me and the many, many, non-allergy friendly parties he'll be attending. Such stress for us, but it's worth the fun for our kids.

emilymatthews said...

Sorry to leave an unrelated comment, but I couldn't find any contact information from you. My name is Emily Matthews, and I'm very interested in contributing to your site - I think I have some great ideas for posts that your readers would love. I'd love to discuss them further with you, and hope to hear from you soon.

Unknown said...

Jennifer- Trust me, it does get easier. When we picked my son up from the party, he mentioned that the potato chips were good too.

Potato chips!?! I didn't know anything about potato chips.

My face must have reflected my thoughts, because he quickly added, "Don't worry, mom. I read the label first."

Yikes! It does get easier...

Unknown said...

Hi Emily,

I can be reached at foodallergyassistant@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. It is very nerve wracking, leaving them behind in the hands of parents living without food allergies. However, I always felt better knowing that the group of children he was with were also aware of my sons'food allergies (usually students there from their class)and I have always taught my kids that they must be their own advocates, never to totally rely on others...meaning...always check the ingredients list! Susan H. @ the food allergy chronicles