Planning Ahead for Thanksgiving Dinner

Food holidays are always challenging when you need to plan around food allergies. By keeping things simple and planning ahead a delicious holiday meal is easy to achieve. Here are some tried and true Thanksgiving tips and recipes:
  • I always brine our Thanksgiving turkey. Honestly, this will be the moistest, most flavorful turkey you've ever had. Check out my article, "How to Brine a Turkey".
  • Our side dishes are simple. For mashed potatoes, I reserve some of the potato water to beat back into the boiled, softened potatoes. Dairy-free margarine, a little seasoned salt and some pepper and we're good to go. We enjoy my sweet potato recipe and I serve a variety of vegetables like green beans, corn and raw veggies including red pepper, carrots and grape tomatoes. 
  • I usually make bread in the bread machine or serve biscuits. Homemade stuffing isn't too tough to tackle. Follow this Cook's.com recipe using safe bread and margarine.
  • It's always fun to make a few dessert selections. I have some of our favorites under the recipe tab of foodallergyassistant.com if you're looking for new dairy, egg, peanut and nut-free ideas.
Start gathering recipes and planning now for a low(er)-stress holiday meal. I'd love to hear how you've adapted some of your family favorites to accommodate food allergies!

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I'm dreading our first allergy free Thanksgiving. We're guests at a big family event. Thankfully everyone seems pretty fine with reserving some plain items for my son, with the allergies - steamed broccoli instead of broccoli salad, sweet potatoes plain instead of the casserole everyone else will eat. Thankfully my little guy knows he can't eat certain things and never complains, until dessert.

    I came across your site on the Circle of Mom's top 25 Food Allergy Mom Blogs. It's given me the idea to start a blog hop for allergies, asthma and eczema - parents or adults dealing with the condition. Please check out the page here and add a comment if you'd like to join. Thanks!

    http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/

    Jennifer

    Michael said...

    Thanksgiving festival seems to be pretty and invite the guests for get together event. The Thanksgiving dinner had more turkey recipes and vegan, Thanksgiving dinner iPad app had an exclusive recipes and new recipes in thanksgiving dinner list.