Do Food Allergies Need a New Name?

The term "food allergy" has become a catch-all phrase that could include anything from an anaphylactic reaction caused by a food protein to a lactose intolerance to a food sensitivity. This week the Dr. Oz show explored the topic, "Are Food Allergies Making You Fat?".

"You could gain up to an extra 30 pounds a year because of a hidden food allergy," said Dr. Oz.

The segment acknowledged that this is "a very different kind of food allergy" than the "fast acting, even life threatening attacks," but I'm concerned about the use of the term food allergy in this context.

I think the idea was to create sensationalism, but using the term in this way leads to confusion and distrust. Headlines like this make it harder for those of us trying to explain to teachers, babysitters, restaurant staff, relatives and friends the seriousness of our child's, or our own, food allergies.

By definition, a food allergy is the immune system's abnormal reaction to a food protein which leads to the release of histamine and other chemicals, thereby causing symptoms ranging from mild to life-threatening.

So, I don't believe we need to come up with a new name for food allergies. I do think that all of us, especially writers, bloggers, journalists, TV personalities, and others need to be very mindful of the terms we use. There are many food issues out there: food intolerance, celiac disease, food poisoning, food sensitivity. All of these can be serious and can cause problems, but let's call them by their proper names. Don't say, "I have a food allergy" because it's easier, it sounds trendier, or it gets people's attention. This only leads to articles like "Most People With Food Allergies Don't Have Food Allergies" and "Statistically Speaking Your Food Allergy is Probably a Lie".

Use the correct words. Food allergy is already taken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Terminology...
[for true immune allergies that destroy life and may/may not cause anaphylaxis]

I stumbled across your article while seeking help for my adult kids who have been diagnosed with true immune food allergies via Igg and Ige testing, pretty much off the charts (no more eggs/dairy/gluten/grains/beans/soy/pineapple, etc. for them, as have I myself (Dr. said I don't have 'intolerance' but 'true allergy'). It took me decades to find the root of my problem; when I did, everyone could see my life given back to me!

I would not be doing the hard (isolating) work of this strange diet to be 'trendy'. I am doing it to survive.

In your own words, you admitted:
"By definition, a food allergy is the immune system's abnormal reaction to a food protein which leads to the release of histamine and other chemicals, thereby causing symptoms ranging from mild to life-threatening."

Agreed but how did you get to this conclusion: "Use the correct words. Food allergy is already taken."

Must someone go to the ER with anaphylaxis before you will allow him to use 'your' phrase?

I am truly shocked to read your dangerous statements here.
Some people may be misguided into believing them because you call yourself an allergy assistant
(and they will continue being misinformed like I was, and continue dying slowly.)


Please reconsider whether you would want your own children/loved ones/or yourself to suffer a long, long time with a slow burn of inflammation and all other symptoms from edema and pressure on/destruction of nerve fibers, pain, headaches, migraines & seizures, neuropathy, parasthesias, sleep disorders, menstrual difficulties, rosacea, eye problems, asthma, sinus problems, and the list goes on (of things I've suffered from it)..... and not be allowed either by healthy people (or even within the allergy camp) to call your condition by its true name of FOOD ALLERGY.


DISlike.

Unknown said...

First of all, thank you, Anonymous, for taking the time to post a comment. I am glad that you found my website. I know that even 10 years ago it was difficult to get a food allergy diagnosis. Testing was unreliable and doctors often blamed symptoms on other things and didn't look at foods as a source. It sounds like you had a long in the diagnosis of your food allergies.

My point in writing this specific column was to question whether we have swung the other way and now over-use the term "food allergy". I want the term to be used in a careful and accurate manner.

Good luck to you.