Monday Review- Hemp Products from Manitoba Harvest


Today's review is courtesy of Manitoba Harvest, a global leader in hemp foods and oils. I recently sampled their hemp oil, hemp seeds and hemp seed butter. For a little back-ground information, Manitoba Harvest is the largest farmer-owned vertically-integrated hemp food manufacturer in the world. They are kosher certified and a USDA organic certified facility. From a food allergy perspective, the facility is hemp only so there is no risk of cross contamination from other products such as soy or peanuts.

I was first impressed with the nutritional quality of hemp. For those with allergies to dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts or fish, finding quality protein sources can be very difficult. Hemp provides a source of complete protein offering 17 different amino acids. Hemp is also a great source of omega-3 essential fats and essential fatty acids which people with allergies to nuts and fish often have trouble including in their diets.

So, how does it taste? I tried Manitoba Harvest's hemp oil in a homemade vinaigrette. I liked the taste and appreciated the nutritional punch I was getting from my dressing. I also mixed some hemp seeds in with my yogurt and found the texture and taste very pleasing. The green color of the hemp seed butter is a bit hard to get past (and my kids wouldn't even try it!). I spread some on a piece of toast. I don't know if it was mostly psychological, but I'll probably stick to the oil and seed form.

One of the first questions I had about hemp was its relationship to marijuana. Would I feed these products to my children? Obviously many people had the same question as it is the first one addressed in their website's FAQ. Check out their response here.

Manitobaharvest.com also offers tons of recipes. They list everything from hemp pizza crust to hemp banana bread. You may also want to read Meghan Atkinson's article about Manitoba Harvest and food allergies.

Check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Hemp has been traced back to the Stone Age. Perhaps this old protein source can be helpful to those who are allergic to many of our modern sources of protein.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for this article. I'm very interested in their protein powder. I have the Life Basics with hemp, but they add stevia, fructose and xylitol. I'm not getting a second container of that, so it's good to know of an alternative.

Unknown said...

Good, I'm glad Manitoba Harvest's protein powder may be a better choice for you. Who needs all those added sweeteners and additives?

Michael Kaer said...

I love hemp. I have only one question (in 2 parts), is Hempseed oil or shelled hempseed in any way an allergen and if they can trigger an allergy in what % of the population would be in "danger"? Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Michael,

I've never heard of anyone with a hemp seed allergy, but since hemp is an edible protein, I assume the potential exists for there to be a food allergy reaction.

johndaddy said...

Manitoba Harvest gourmet Hemp products are carefully manufactured and processed free of herbicides, pesticides, preservatives and additives.
Manitoba Hemp Products