Food Allergy Update: Brownies

There's been much in the news recently with peanut allergic children eating peanuts safely (under direct doctor supervision,of course). We've read reports about the role of Chinese herbal medicines as a possible cure for food allergies. Then more stories about crazy parents and the over-diagnosis of food allergies in their children have continued to crop up in newspapers, blogs and morning shows all over.

But the big news this week in my house is the discovery of a delicious egg-free brownie recipe.

I've made some awful brownies over the past six years in search of the perfect egg-free version. Let's face it, it's the eggs that give brownies their chewiness and their crackly glazed top.

We've eaten brownies as chewy as a giant sized bar of Laffy Taffy. We've gnawed on hard brownie bricks that taste like, well bricks. But the other day, the sweet smell and taste of success. I found the recipe on a vegan website. It was the mixture of boiled water and flour that intrigued me. Could it work? Would this be THE egg-free brownie recipe? Yes it was!

You can find the recipe here.

Go preheat your oven now. You know you want to.

For more food allergy friendly recipes, check out the Food Allergy Assistant's website.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I made these brownies this weekend for my family. They were WONDERFUL! I've been looking for a great brownie recipe w/out eggs (and milk). Thank you so much for sharing!

The Mrs. said...

I'll have to try these. Have you tried the black bean brownies? Everyone in the house (including the picky egg allergic four year old!) love them. You just blend up a can of black beans, add a little water to them, mix it in with the dry brownie box mix and viola. Hubs likes them because they are so moist. And I count them as a veggie b/c of the beans!

But I'm intrigued by your recipe and I think we'll have some brownies tomorrow...

Unknown said...

Jenny, I'm so glad you liked them! Ours are gone now and the kids are asking for more so I'll probably be making another batch sometime this week.

I may try sneaking in a little whole wheat flour and some flax seed to try to make them a little healthier. I'll let you know how that goes.

Unknown said...

To The Mrs.,

I love the idea of sneaking some black beans in the brownie mix. I put pureed beans in soups and stews when I can and my children are none the wiser.

I really worry about my dairy, egg, nut allergic son getting enough protein so the beans give me a little piece of mind.

Besides, any excuse to classify brownies as one of my veggie servings works for me!

Let me know if you try the recipe.

Marketing Mama said...

Thanks so much for trying and posting this. I just printed it out! :)

Unknown said...

Let me know how they taste, Marketing Mama.